The natural wealth of the Angara region has attracted the attention of researchers in the pre-revolution period, but the studies then conducted focused on mineral wealth. Hydropower research starts in 1924-25. In these years, in the revision of the GELRO plan by V.M., the work performed by the young man was completed.
"Puss of the Irkut GEC ♪
Academic G.M. Krzyzhanovski, author of the GOELRO plan
In fact, comprehensive research on Angar started in 1930, when the NSA created the Angara study office. In 1931, this Management was renamed "Buro Angara" and became part of the Hydroenergoprojekt. In 1935, under the leadership of Professor V.M. Littleev, the first stage of research on the Angara issue was completed, which resulted in: the use of the upper section of Angara, a schematic project of the first-priority Baikut hydro and a technical-economic scheme of the Pribaikal Industrial Complex and its energy users. These materials were reviewed by the expert commission of the USSR State Plan in 1936.
The outcome of the review was the decision to build six GECs on the Anguillan, which formed a continuous cascade. The highest level of the Irkutsk GEC has been identified as the first priority of all the Antarctic hydropower stations. In 1948, the Irkutsk GEC is included in the title list of the Gedroenergoprojekt Geodep. The main engineer of the project is Georgi Nikolayevich Suhanov, architects P.M. Stalin and V. V. Letavin. By the end of the following year, the hydroelectric project had been developed and approved, and in January 1950 the Government of the USSR decided to build the Irkut hydrouzla. And in a month, the first hydro builders appeared in the future dam.